Muscle pain can have different causes. These include sports injuries, inflammatory and non-inflammatory diseases as well as diseases that affect the muscles only indirectly.
Sports injuries are among the muscle pain
- Sore muscles: A sore muscle is not strictly speaking a disease, but a symptom, which is caused by overloading of the muscles. A sore muscle is one of the most common causes of muscle pain. Sports physicians assume that exceptionally intense stress on the muscles so overwhelming that components of the myofibrils are damaged. At the sarcomere level, especially the Z-strips in overloading activities damage, as they are considered the weakest member within the sarcomere. The resulting micro-injuries lead to an inflammatory reaction of the body and thus to the classic symptoms of a sore muscle tramadol over the counter on bill. These are muscle pains during exercise and external pressure and increased muscle tension in the affected muscles, which many people describe as stiffness. However, it should be emphasized that muscle soreness is not harmful to the body. If it occurs after a clean training, it is a sign of healthy muscles and disappears by itself after a few days.
- Muscle tear / torn muscle: This injury to the muscle fibers, often on the calf or thigh, can lead to particularly severe muscle pain. In doing so, several or all muscle fibers of a fiber bundle break. A muscle tear tears the entire muscle. Both cases may require surgical treatment. Affected persons must observe long seasons after the injury.
- Bruises, Strains, Sprains: All three types of injuries can be very painful, but are usually harmless. A bruise is caused by a dull thud or impact on the muscle tissue. The smallest blood vessels (capillaries) in the muscle are destroyed and the blood pours into the free tissue. This injury is visible from the outside as a hematoma (bruise) tramadol with paracetamol. It can also cause swelling. Strains are caused by an overuse of the muscle, such as in a sudden sprint, if previously the muscle was not sufficiently warmed up or by a sudden unfamiliar movement. Most strains occur on the thigh and calf. The symptoms are similar to bruises and swelling bruises. Sprains (distorsions) are caused by an overstretching of a muscle, classic is the bending over with the foot. As a result, injuries to the fibers in the capsule-ligament apparatus occur at the ankle joint. Sprains also often occur on the wrist or knee.
- Muscle Pain Causes: Inflammatory Muscle Disorders
- Muscle inflammation (myositis): A myositis is usually caused by bacterial pathogens that have invaded the tissue after an unhealed injury or overload. The result is sometimes severe pain. The most commonly affected are the arms and legs. Even viruses can be the trigger of a myositis. Typical is the coxsackie B virus. Sometimes it is also your own body that attacks our nerves and can lead to severe muscle pain. This is the case with autoimmune diseases such as polymyalgia rheumatica or dermatomyositis.
Non-inflammatory muscle diseases can also be a cause of muscle pain
Muscle pain without inflammation is mainly caused by muscular dystrophy, fibromyalgia and thyroid disease.
Muscular dystrophies (muscular atrophy): This is an umbrella term for various genetic muscle diseases. The most common among them is Duchenne muscular dystrophy. Those affected by muscular dystrophy suffer from a defective structure of muscle tissue and associated muscle weakness. In addition, the muscle mass in the course of the disease continues to decrease. The reason for this are a number of hereditary diseases buy tramadol. However, certain muscle-distant organ systems may also be responsible for the decline in muscle mass.
The entire course of the disease is accompanied by severe muscle pain. The first symptoms usually appear in the legs, so that many sufferers can only move in a wheelchair. In the further course, signs of paralysis on the arms appear, in many cases patients with pronounced muscular dystrophy are in complete need of care. Those affected by Duchenne muscular dystrophy usually survive the disease only until young adulthood and then die from cardiac or respiratory muscle failure. Even with the other forms of muscular dystrophy a cure is not yet possible.
- Fibromyalgia: The background of this painful muscle disease is still today. Not completely clarified. Scientists suspect that damage in the sensory nerve endings in the subcutaneous tissue to the pain in the muscles lead. Also, a deficiency of the neurotransmitter serotonin, which regulates the pain sensation, is discussed as the cause. Affected suffer from muscle pain throughout the body, but especially in the back, neck and chest area as well as in the arms and legs. Thyroid disorders: The most common disorders of the thyroid gland are hyperfunction (hyperthyroidism) and hypofunction (hypothyroidism) tramadol painkiller. In case of an overactive thyroid produces too much thyroxine (thyroid hormone), so that the metabolism in the body is greatly accelerated. In the process, more protein is broken down in the muscles and damage (such as increasing muscle weakness) can occur, which is sometimes associated with severe pain. In a subfunction, the metabolism is slowed down, resulting in a chronic lack of energy. The associated muscle breakdown can cause pain. Diseases without direct involvement of muscles. Not always the cause of muscle pain in diseases that directly affect the muscles. Here are the most common diagnoses that can cause muscle pain.Grip Infection: Influenza attacks the immune system. The body reacts with the release of so-called prostaglandins (tissue hormones), which increase the immune response and at the same time increase the sensation of pain. To ward off the viruses, the prostaglandins raise the temperature set point in the brain. This means that the brain raises body temperature and causes fever. This also increases the muscle activity. The prostaglandins simultaneously increase the sensation of pain tramadol tablets.
- Rheumatic diseases: These diseases include ankylosing spondylitis and rheumatoid arthritis. Patients with autoimmune disease suffer from chronic inflamed joints. Although their origin is unclear, muscle pain is also a concomitant of rheumatic diseases. Experts believe that the immune system not only attacks the inflammatory processes in the joints, but also partially attacks the muscles and thus triggers the muscle pain. Even stimuli that would not normally cause pain are transmitted from the pain receptors to the brain. This combination of sensitized pain receptors and increased muscle activity soothes the typical muscle ache of flu.
- Osteoporosis: This disease is also known as bone loss. Those affected suffer from increased degradation of bone mass. Numerous movements shift and the body muscles have to compensate for heavy loads tramadol dosage. Muscle pain as a result of the unusual strain are a typical symptom.
- Parkinson’s disease: Most people associate the condition with the characteristic shaking of the hands. The cause is a deficiency of the neurotransmitter dopamine. Due to the lack of the messenger substance affected people can not control their movements completely self. The movements slow down, there are muscle stiffening and the well-known tremor.
- Tetanus (tetanus): This disease, which is barely occurring in industrialized countries, causes extremely severe muscle pain. The trigger is the bacterium Clostridium tetani, which spreads through open wounds in the body and quickly attacks the muscle-controlling nerve cells tramadol without prescription. The result is severe cramping of the entire skeletal muscle. In particular, the long back muscles stretched backwards, not infrequently, the spasms are so strong that break through bone and joints are dislocated. Thanks to nationwide vaccination in childhood, however, there are fewer and fewer affected people worldwide. Important: The vaccine does not last a lifetime. After about ten years, a booster vaccination should be done.
- Side effects from medications: Painful side effects are among the unpleasant features of many medications. Some, including statins (cholesterol-lowering drugs) and some antibiotics (such as penicillin), are also a cause of muscle pain.